Tuesday, April 21, 2009

african blog hiatus

To anyone I told to keep their eyes out on the blog for the month I'm away, I just wanted to warn you that I can no longer upload any more photos while I'm here.
We just found out last night that the place we're staying on Lake Tanganyika (Lake Shore Lodge) only has 1.5 gb of bandwith per month, which means we all need to halt the picture uploading in order to preserve our internet connection for the remainder of our time here.
I am having a wonderful time though. The Lake Shore Lodge is a sustainable organic farm in one of the most remote places in Africa, if not also the world. Chris and Louise, the owners, are two of the nicest, most accommodating people I've ever met. We are their first-ever guests and we're all more than impressed with everything and everyone here.
The stars here are like nothing I've ever seen. You can even see the milky way. And I learned that the Big Dipper is upside down here due to being in the Southern Hemisphere. Learn something new every day.
This past weekend I went on an overnight safari in Katavi National Park, since the mosquito nets STILL have not arrived for distribution. It was one of the best weekends of my entire life. To see those magnificent animals in their natural habitat, especially the giraffes, was a life dream of mine. Just magical.
At least half of the nets are supposed to FINALLY arrive today...keep your fingers crossed!

In case I don't get a chance to write again, I'll be sure to write in more detail upon my arrival back in the U.S. and of course post tons more pictures.
Thanks for sticking with me.
xoxo

2 comments:

Gary Anderson said...

Thanks for keeping us posted stateside! Have a great adventure. GA

Alyse Liebovich said...

Thank YOU for commenting! It's nice to know that someone actually reads this...haha